Past Articles

Thursday 8 September 2011

Book: The Cardinal of the Kremlin (Tom Clancy, 1988)

I've come to a conclusion having now read 5 of Clancy's novels that you either dig him or you don't. It's simplistic logic as this can be attributed to all authors (eg: I hate the works of Clive Cussler yet the guys still gets published so there must be a market for him out there), but bare with me. In their very basic elements, Clancy's works are techno thrillers but they also tend to have very political undertones that are generally the back-bone of the narrative, whether it be helping a Russian sub-Captain in Hunt for Red October or taking down the Columbian drug cartels in Clear and Present Danger (a book I have not yet read). This mix of heavy political/technological plot threads will either be interesting or boring. I'll admit, my first foray into Clancy (some ten years ago) was not a pleasant one as I found much of the scenes of characters talking heatedly about politics to be dull. Yet I now like to think of myself as a bit more mature and actually find that many thrillers shine during these heated discussions.

And this is why, after that particularly protracted anecdote, I found The Cardinal of the Kremlin to be an excellent read. It is very much a novel of its time (it was published in 1988) where the Cold War still rages and the Soviet Union occupies Afghanistan. But whilst this follows the Clancy formula to a T, it doesn't feel as burdened with the political weight as it's predecessor, The Hunt for Red October. As such, once the pieces are in place, it moves as fluidly and efficiently as the best thrillers in the business. As a spy novel (the Cardinal of the title is high ranking Soviet double agent that has been spying for the West for well over 30 years) it isn't quite as good as, say, Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and, in fact, the spy elements make up only a small portion of a very elaborate and well plotted narrative. The inclusion of some familiar faces also helps, with Bart Mancuso and Marko Ramius from Red October rocking up and also a brief cameo from John Clark (easily the most interesting character of the Jack Ryan novels) prompting me to imagine conversations between Sean Connery and Willam Dafoe to much delight.

The Cardinal of the Kremlin is unashamedly Clancy and, as I said, you either dig him or you don't. If you don't you wont be won over. If you do, I highly recommend.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment